The Garden State Film Festival – General Rules
1. The Garden State Film Festival (“GSFF” or “the Festival”) Entry Fees are non-refundable.
2.All Feature submissions must be a New Jersey Premier. All films other than features a Premier in the GSFF Region (Monmouth, Mercer, Ocean and Middlesex Counties) is preferred. Student works may have been screened on campus of the school to which the student attends, without regard to the Premier requirements. GSFF reserves the right to grant exceptions to the Premier requirement.
3. All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
4. Web Series compilations may be submitted as short or feature films as long as the compilation meets the short or feature requirements.
5. Submission must be by a DVD (NTSC, Region 1 or 0) or Blu Ray (NTSC, Region A).
6. Sending your disc to GSFF, 1 Page Avenue, Allenhurst, New Jersey 07711. DO NOT require a signature. If you would like acknowledgement of receipt of your disc (in addition to teh submission system acknowledgment), please enclosed a self-addressed stamped postcard that will serve as acknowledgment of receipt.
7. Discs must be labeled with the following:
§ Format and Region
§ Length in Minutes
§ Tracking Number
Please test your disc thoroughly before sending. Must play on standard US commercial player.
8. If you are submitting more than one entry, a separate submission is required for each film, although they may be mailed together. Submissions will not be returned unless a self-stamped addressed envelope is provided with the submission.
9. Once a Project has been submitted for consideration it cannot be withdrawn.
10. All entries must be shipped prepaid. Do not declare a value on your submission, as this will hold it up in customs. Do not send materials in fiber-filled envelopes or “jiffy packs,” since fibers will damage both disc and playback equipment. Please use other types of envelopes or containers. The title of the work, tracking number and running time must be on all mailing containers.
11. The Festival disavows any responsibility for, and will not be held responsible for, any failure to contact the Applicant using the contact information provided in the submission system. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to ensure that the contact information provided in the submission system is correct through the end of the Festival period.
12. If the disc does not play in an commercial player, the Festival will attempt, but is under no obligation, to contact the applicant from the contact information provided to obtain a replacement. If a replacement is not available, the Festival reserves the right to disqualify the film without refunding the submission fees.
13. The Festival will attempt, but is under no obligation, to view a submission that arrives after the designated deadline without refund of the submission fee.
14. The Festival reserves the right to disqualify any film for non-payment of the submission fee. The Festival will attempt to contact the applicant with the information on the application form to resolve the non-payment status, but is under no obligation to do so.
15. The Festival is under no obligation to, and does not, provide comments or feedback regarding the submitted Film to the Applicant or any other representative of the submitted Film. The Festival will not be held responsible or liable for the contents of any internal comments or feedback regarding any submitted Film obtained by the Applicant or any other representative of the submitted film or any third party.
16. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials included within the submitted Film. The GSFF will not be held responsible for the unauthorized inclusion of any copyrighted materials within or relating to the submitted Film. The GSFF reserves the right to disqualify, without refund of any or all submission fees previously collected from the Applicant, any Film with any unauthorized inclusion of copyrighted materials.
17. Successful applicants to the Festival will be notified through the contact information provided in the submission system. The Festival will notify all applicants by the beginning of February, and will be required to submit screening copies within two (2) weeks of the date of the notice. The contact information on the application form must be kept valid from submission to the end of the festival. The Festival will not be held responsible for the failure to contact the Applicant using the contact information provided on the submission form.
18. GSFF reserves the right to adjust screening schedules of films at the discretion of GSFF without any notice.
19. The Filmmaker agrees that GSFF will be held harmless for delays due to equipment failure, shipping delays, and or condition the prints delivered which may prevent screening. GSFF cannot be held liable for your exhibition materials which are lost or damaged.
20. GSFF does not pay screening fees at this time.
21. Filmmakers or screenwriters accepted and attending the Festival are responsible for travel, lodging, and all other expenses.
22. All jury decisions are final and will be announced at the Festival Awards Dinner and will be posted on the GSFF website shortly thereafter.
23. All stated information, eligibility and submission guidelines, terms and conditions of entry, and entry information are subject to change by the GSFF, without notice.
24. By making the submission to the GSFF, the submitter warrants that it/they have the legal right to enter film work to GSFF own all rights to all elements of their film, or are authorized to use all elements in the film, and are authorized to submit for the film for exhibition and related uses by the GSFF. Furthermore to, jointly and severally, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Garden State Film Festival (“GSFF”), its officers, directors, committee persons, agents, volunteers, and all other connected with or providing services to, whether paid, in-kind or volunteered (collectively “Indemnitee”), from liability, damages, costs and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, that such Indemnitee might incur relating to, arising out of or existing by, whether by act or omission, including negligence, by reason of (1) the decision or act to exhibit or not exhibit a Submission submitted to GSFF by the Submitter; (2) the advertisement, publicity, or exhibition of said Submission; or (3) the other use of said Submission by the GSFF.
25. By submitting a film, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these General Rules and the Terms and Conditions. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these General Rules or the Terms and Conditions, below, have been made to me or the Film’s Owners by the GSFF or any Indemnitee.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I, the authorized representative of the project being submitted (the “Film”), acknowledge and agree as follows in connection with the Film’s submittal for consideration for The Garden State Film Festival (“GSFF” or “the Festival”):
1. I hereby represent and warrant to the Festival that: (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Film (the “Film’s Owners”), to exhibit this Film at the Festival, (b) exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
2. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with the Festival.
3. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, GSFF in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the Festival’s selection of the Film. I and the Film’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Film by the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the GSFF of the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein.
4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the GSFF, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, parents, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents, representatives and volunteers (collectively “Indemnitees”) from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorney’s fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity or may be incurred by the GSFF or Indemnitees at any time in connection with the Film or the Festival’s use thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the GSFF, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions or General Rules.
5. In the event that the Film is accepted by the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the GSFF without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide contact information for the director and producer(s) of the Film and to grant the Festival the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion.
6. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that, if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided the Festival with a written consent from my parent or legal guardian.
7. I further agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that any claim, dispute or controversy arising out of, in connection with, or otherwise related to the Film, the Festival, or these Terms and Conditions or General Rules (including the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof), will be governed by the laws of the State of New Jersey and will be venued in Superior Court, Monmouth County, New Jersey, by way of bench trial and be limited to actual damages. In agreeing to this exclusive provision, I hereby waive and relinquish, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, any right or entitlement that I or the Film’s Owners might otherwise have had to bring or litigate any claim or claims encompassed by this paragraph in federal court against the GSFF, any other state or venue, and any right to a trial by jury with respect to such claim or claims.
8. I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood these rules and regulations and general rules for submitting a film to the Festival and that this information shall supersede any information obtained elsewhere, including, but not limited to, information contained in any Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) documents and/or rules and regulations documents from prior years.
9. By submitting a Film, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions and the General Rules. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these Terms and Conditions or General Rules, have been made to me or the Film’s Owners by the GSFF or any Indemnitee.